Friday 14 August 2009

Pumpkin support

Last year the poultry run proved to be a very good support for squashes, so this year I'm encouraging a pumpkin variety to cover the wire. I would have expected something to set and start developing by this point in August for there to be any hope of decent, fully ripened fruits, but yet again the season has been disappointing. The biggest pumpkin I ever grew was in my allotment in Wolfson College. I remember going into college on August bank holiday to work, and finding someone had tried to steal the nearly-mature fruit. It was too heavy for them to move, so they had hacked out a slice. We decided to take it home and use it ourselves before the thieves came back for some more. It took two people to move and filled a small wheelbarrow. I doubt my current pumpkin will produce anything like this in time for this year's bank holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment